July 27, 2009

Thorncrest Farms (and I am tired)

Inspired by our friends Theresa, Jamie, and Karl, who became members of a community supported agriculture (CSA) farm in New York, Matt and I researched a couple local farms in our area who had similar programs. We found a farm that would let us join mid-season, and last Wednesday, we picked up our first share of locally-grown, chemical-free, just-picked vegetables. We knew the share was large enough for a family of four, but it was summer, and we figured we could handle the challenge.

I was surprised at how excited Matt and I were about joining the program. After I made the initial calls to the farms, Matt asked me several times each day if I'd heard back from any of them. Then, on our pick-up day, we ended up so early, that we went to Menard's for light bulbs and Caribou for coffee.

We both loved visiting the small farm and talking with the farmers. When we asked how to cook some of the vegetables we were less familiar with, a common theme emerged: pan fried in butter. We left with 19 pounds of food, and, like I said, we were ready to take on the challenge of using it. On the way home, I looked at Matt, happy and hopeful for our healthy choices, and he said to me: "You think we can use it all, don't you." I nodded eagerly but he shook his head and said, "I'm not so sure..."

Like we used to do at Halloween, we spread out the bounty when we got home to take it all in. We had beets, rutabaga, kohlrabi, potatoes, onions, broccoli, carrots, red cabbage, green cabbage, cucumbers, basil, zucchini, green beans, snow peas, and radishes.

That night, we stayed up until 1:00 am. We shopped for pickling spices and jars, and then washed, chopped, and parboiled. Since then, the introduction of 19 pounds of vegetables into my home has doubled the number of dishes I've had to do and left me exhausted each night. I've cooked dinner each night, snipped the ends off of an endless supply of beans, and made chocolate zucchini bread. I've got plans yet tonight to make coleslaw and pesto.

(I just had to run to the kitchen to put the wheat bread in the oven.)

We're trying so hard to eat better, cook for ourselves, and make sustainable choices, but I just don't know if this is a sustainable for me. Right now, I'm working shorter days, home usually by 3 pm at the latest. When school hits, especially in my first year as a dorm parent, how can we possibly cook 19 pounds of vegetables each week?

I think we needed to split the share after all. Any takers?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's still hard for us, and we split it. It does get easier though. Within weeks, I reach a point that I don't have to look up a recipe every time I have to cook beets...there's an easy fix if I want one, just like there is for broccoli, green beans, and brussels sprouts. I am still spending a lot more time cooking, but I do believe there's a learning curve. Does Thorncrest sell half share? Ours does, but people with half shares don't get as much variety. For example, they may have to choose between cilantro and dill or between beets and turnips. I'm convinced it's worth it...but I hear you, and the swiss chard and salad greens just keep on coming.

Caroline said...

Split it. It's not worth the headache or the wasted food.

If you can't split it and you're tired of pickling, canning, etc., freeze what you can. Chop the veggies into small pieces, blanch them, dry them, and then freeze them on large baking sheets before putting them in freezer bags.

Or give it to your neighbors. Or, heck, compost it or feed it to the local chickens, should you have any.